Many of our users protect their privacy and defend themselves against snooping advertising companies by using Tor. This has been the case from day one at Coinkite and we accept that everyone has their own reasons.
Until now, these users have been using the Tor Browser and simply surfing to Coinkite.com using that wonderful package. Starting today, anyone who wishes to use Tor with Coinkite can also use our new “onion address" to connect directly to Coinkite over the Tor network:
This is faster and more private, but comes with a few caveats:
- The main font is not Open Sans, but something a little more plain.
- Maps are not displayed because that leaks data to the map graphics provider.
- Videos are removed for privacy reasons (only used in a few FAQ entries).
- In-browser notifications (popup at top of screen) are not available. SMS and Email alerts will still happen however.
- The Coinkite store works a little differently: you need to reload after adding to your cart.
What are the advantages to using the onion address?
- Does not consume precious resources at the Tor exit nodes.
- The exit nodes do not see your traffic, although it would be encrypted anyway (HTTPS).
- Does not reveal your traffic to USA-based CloudFlare which is used for all normal HTTPS traffic.
- Additional privacy as a few external services are not used (maps, videos, google analytics).
- Slightly faster or much faster depending on chance.
New to Tor?
The best and easiest way to get started is by installing and using the Tor Browser. First though, take the time to learn more about the Tor Project and the many faces of it’s users. Almost everyone has a reason to get some extra privacy from using Tor occasionally.
I never plan to use Tor. Can I block it?
Yes, you can disable all access to your account over Tor, using a new setting under your account’s Misc Security Options.
But only criminals use Tor!
Certainly there have been some well-known criminal sites on the “dark web” that transact in Bitcoin, just like the normal web. Coinkite is a site with both a very public face and an onion address, so we are obviously something quite different. For more on this topic, start here with the Tor Abuse FAQ.
- Please report any privacy problems you find with onion service so we can address them to protect all our users.
- We reserve the right to suspend these Tor features if they are abused.
The Shibe Definition of Microlending: Noun, http://i.imgur.com/tANszWml.jpg Vote for **UNSECO***** Microlending with Dogecoin*** project link below….
That is awesome beyond words - where did you get it, if you don’t mind sharing?
Alison, Kelly, and Eric are joined this time by their good friend Andrew Chard from View From the Gutters.
Wolf Beats is a management, promotion, and distribution company that provides all the services necessary to advance the careers of upcoming EDM artists through
You can purchase this music and help save a persons life.
The Bitcoin gambling industry is arguably one of the fastest growing cryptocurrency sectors. Thanks to the frictionless functionality of Bitcoin and alt-coins, users are able to more easily engage in online gambling. Unfortunately for gamblers, some gambling services seem to be shutting their doors in anticipation of upcoming regulations. With the recent demise of Doge-Dice and …
alt-J - Hunger Of The Pine
There is a moment about a minute and a half into alt-J’s lush and intricate new single, when the Miley Cyrus sample plays for the first time, and you can’t help but step back and appreciate the absurdity of it. It shouldn’t work, but of course it does, adding yet another layer to this strange bird of a song. Orchestral, eclectic, tense, and soft, ‘Hunger Of The Pine’ doesn’t come in like a wrecking ball, so much as a breath of fresh air.
*Fellow shibes,* ##***wof!*** From the beginning of this journey, we’ve been digging harshly with all of our computing power. We used our CPUs and f…
Q&A with Miles Jai #30: BLACK OPULENCE (x)
This is so important inspirational
Folks, I’ll be honest. No other news today really matters. Today is all about the BitLicense and the necessity of assertive and compelling public comments - coordinated or individual - to the NYSDFS in the coming weeks. Below is my breakdown and lengthy proposals for attacking the BitLicense’s…